Public Policy Priorities
Realizing the full integration of home health, hospice and palliative care services into the continuum of care with appropriate reimbursement and reasonable regulation.
Home Health Services
- Home Health Reimbursement: Support the Home Health Payment Innovation Act (S. 433/H.R. 2573) to eliminate behavior assumption adjustments in the Patient-Driven Groupings Model.
- Medicare Home Health Prescribers: Support the Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act of 2019 (S. 296/H.R. 2160) to expand those who can order Medicare home health services to include nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse-midwives, and physician assistants.
- Home Health PPS: Review and provide comments during the CY 2021 Medicare Home Health Prospective Payment System rulemaking process.
- IMPACT: Participate in the Medicare unified post-acute prospective payment system technical expert panel to provide the voice of VNAA members regarding possible future payment system design.
Hospice and Palliative Care
- Hospice Oversight: We support the Hospice Care Improvement Act of 2019 (S. 2807), which aims to improve the quality of care furnished by Medicare hospice programs through increased oversight, transparency, and education.
- Access to Telehealth: Support the CONNECT for HEALTH Act of 2019 (S. 2741/H.R. 4932) to amend Medicare to expand access to telehealth, including the provision that allows the hospice face-to-face recertification to take place via telehealth.
- Training in Palliative Care: Support the Palliative Care Education and Training Act (PCHETA; S. 2080/H.R. 647) which would provide professional training in palliative care and has passed the House.
- Palliative Care Access: Support the Provider Training in Palliative Care (S. 1821) to allow the definition of primary care provided by the National Health Service Corps to include palliative care services.
- Rural Health Clinics and Hospice: Support the Rural Access to Hospice Act (S. 1190/ H.R. 2594) to amend the Social Security Act to provide payments for certain rural health clinics and federally qualified health center services provided to hospice patients under Medicare.
- Older Americans Act Reauthorization: Support reauthorization of the Older Americans Act (H.R. 4334) to include provisions focused on serious illness.
- Advanced Illness Care: Support the Removing Barriers to Person Centered Care Act (S. 829) to award cooperative agreements to improve care for individuals with advanced illness.
- Physician Assistants: Seek a legislative fix to the statute that does not allow for PAs to provide face-to-face encounters. Provide clarity around the role of physician assistants in hospice.
- Integration of Hospice and Palliative Care into the Continuum of Aging Services: Seek legislative provisions that would enable such integration.
- HOPE Tool: Continue Hospice Outcomes and Patient Evaluation (HOPE) tool development and assessment process engagement.
- Hospice Payment Rate Update Rule: Review and provide comments on the FY 2021 Medicare Hospice wage rule.